Thursday 1 November 2012

Ding Dong Advent Bell Pull

Ta da!  Here it is!

My Advent Bell Pull could also be called an Advent Wall Hanging considering we don't have bells and butlers any more.  Well some of us don't!

Advent Bell PullDesigning and stitching this out was sooooo enjoyable.  And I do hope my Monthly Project Club members enjoy making it as much as I did.

I love Christmas time!  Even though it's hot as hell here in SA, and we have braai's (BBQs) and beers and swimming around in the pool, I still do the traditional mince fruit pies at breakfast time, a gammon for lunch and fruit cake (which my DH makes) for tea in the afternoon.

The entire project (except for the final binding) was made and put together IN THE HOOP.  The blocks are appliqued, embroidered and quilted without removing the project from the hoop.  And even the backing is all done - yup, you guessed it - ITH!

I think it would make a wonderful addition to any church over the Festive Season and will donate this one to my friend Reverend Jen for her church.  She is such an inspirational woman and leads a congregation out in one of the poorer areas of our country.

A couple of years ago, I went out with Reverend Jen to an informal settlement where a little school of 60 children is housed in an old bus.  I was taken aback at the abject poverty in the area.  There were no flushing toilets, they had to get water from a tank 100 yards up the road and the children were aged between 2 and 6 years old.  Most of them were orphaned and lived with relatives or siblings.  The school is run on donations alone so that these childrens' keepers (who are mostly sickly) do not have to pay.  Each child is fed at the school each day.  Food is donated by large supermarkets to Rev Jen and she delivers it out there once a week.

The Foundation I work with paid for the school to get running water and toilets and I returned one day with a toiletry kit of toothbrush, toothpaste, facecloth and soap for each of the kids.  Most didn't know what to do with these items.

We don't realise how fortunate we are.  And at Christmas time this year, I will be doing a Random Act of Christmas Kindness (RACK) every single day for the 25 days leading up to Christmas.  In some small way I hope to make those who are desolate a little happier at the time of year when we are all enjoying good cheer.

So, why not join in? Do a little something nice for someone who least expects it once a day starting December 1, 2012.  I will post what I did each day.

If you'd like to make one of these banners yourself for this Christmas, come over to Sew 'n Sew and join the monthly project club.  It's great value for money and you will get a project each month - one month before it's released to the general embroidery community (of course at a higher price nudge nudge)!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend doing lots of crafty stuff!
Love from Sunny South Africa!
Trisch


No comments:

Post a Comment